Cuisle - An Artists' Collective
Cuisle are an innovative collection of artists and craft makers who are living and working in the Gaeltacht.Their backgrounds and cultures bring a diverse mix of the exotic and traditional in this unique group. This wonderful fusion of people was established in April 2009 by a group who wished to take their products outside of the Donegal Gaeltacht, to show, sell and exhibit the wide range of work they produced. A vital aspect to their project is the promotion of the Gaeltacht to a wider audience.
Cuisle have 11 Members and cover an area from Carrigart, Falcarragh, Gweedore, Dungloe, Kilcar and Fintra and Glencolmcille.
- Brenda Hewitt – originally for Co. Down is a Handweaver and Textile Artist, often demonstrating her craft.
- Naomi Fleury – originally from Japan makes Japanese Papercraft, again demonstrating her craft locally. Speaks Japanese.
- Kathleen Meehan – an native of Glencolmcille is a Traditional Handknitter, making and demonstrating her craft. Speaks Irish
- Studio Donegal from Kilcar are Spinners and Weavers, using locally sourced wool for their wide range of products.
- Rosaria Pisari originally from Milan, Italy and Mici McCloskey, Kilcar are the only Organic Certified Seaweed producers in Europe. They speak Irish, Italian
- Thomas Kelly reared in Scotland makes machine knitted clothing for adults and children.
- Gay O’Toole, originally Co. Wicklow, a Watercolourist of fine quality.
- Nora Duffy, born in Scotland, lived in Ireland over 30 years. A Painter/Printmaker, using environmentally friendly methods of work and teaching her craft when possible.
- Caitlin Gallagher, a native of Gweedore and Irish Speaker, a Painter of vivid abstract paintings
- Theresa McGinley, maker of fine tweed clothing, coats, capes etc. finishing her work to the highest standard.
- Emily Bazeley, born in England and a Fairie Tailor, making exquisite garments for her little clients and who uses any plant life she can find to make their clothes.
Click here to see map of where these artists are based and for more information on Cuisle, check out their website below.